TV chefs restaurant burns down in 90 seconds as customers flee explosion

TV chefs restaurant burns down in 90 seconds as customers flee explosion

08/29/2021

Get a daily dose of showbiz gossip straight to your inbox with the Daily Star’s FREE newsletter

A TV chef's restaurant burned down in '90' seconds as desperate customers ran from the fire and 'explosions'.

Nick Nairn's restaurant was engulfed in flames as an off-duty firefighter and a police officer raced to help customers escape the blaze.

The star, 62, told how the heroes helped guide panicked punters outside after the kitchen went up in '90 seconds'.

It's believed a piece of equipment malfunctioned at the bistro, based in Bridge of Allan, Stirlingshire.

His chefs attempted to stop the flames with a fire blanket and tackle it with extinguishers, but were forced to flee themselves when canisters ran out and the appliance 'exploded'.

Nick said: “We had a full house.

“It happened right in the middle of service.

“Luckily an off-duty cop and off-duty firefighter were dining with us.

“They assisted with the evacuation.

“Everybody is okay — that’s the main thing.

“It took hold in 90 seconds.

“It’s scary how quickly it happened.”

The fire broke out around 8.17pm with customers and staff being forced to flee.

  • The Chase's Jenny 'The Vixen' Ryan hits back after being insulted by Jeff Banks

Six fire crews and 30 firefighters were dispatched to the scene and two people were treated for smoke inhalation.

Nick, the youngest Scottish chef to win a Michelin Star, was working in another branch at the time. He rushed to the bistro when he heard of the fire.

He says it'll be 24 hours before they can get in to assess the damage.

He added: “It’s absolutely horrendous.

  • SAS: Who Dares Wins hit by Saira Khan legal row over 'lifelong scars'

“It wasn’t an accident, it was an electrical fire.

“We threw a fire blanket over it and discharged two CO2 extinguishers.

“But as soon as they ran out, it exploded.

“We’re all standing outside, there’s just devastation."

Nick went on to say the fire is a "bitter pill" after the tough 18 months the hospitality sector has endured with the Covid pandemic, and with the restaurant previously suffering flooding.

Photos from the scene show smoke billowing into the sky and flames pouring out of the windows, with locals watching on.

A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “We got a call to a building alight.

“On arrival crews confirmed this was a well-developed fire within the kitchen and requested further attendance.”

Stay up to date with the latest news in Showbiz and follow your favourite celebrities by signing up for our newsletter by clicking here.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Fire

Source: Read Full Article