Martin Lewis issues crucial travel warning for Brits ahead of booking 2023 holidays

Martin Lewis issues crucial travel warning for Brits ahead of booking 2023 holidays


Money expert Martin Lewis, who recently was hailed a "national hero", has issued a word of warning to Brits who are considering taking a trip abroad soon.

The busiest time for holiday bookings is in January and the following weeks, with many individuals already planning to schedule some summer sun.

In his latest Money Saving Expert newsletter, the consumer champion shared a common "mistake" that holidaymakers make.

He said that his "heart sinks" when he hears of people leaving their travel insurance arrangements until after they’ve already booked the holiday.

In the newsletter, Martin wrote: "Each spring without fail, someone asks me a heartbreaking question. Usually they've been diagnosed with cancer or another serious condition that needs long-term treatment, and they won't be able to go on their summer holiday.

"Yet the airline won't refund them – within its rights as the ticket is not faulty.

"I say, 'that's what travel insurance is for'. Sometimes though, they tell me they haven't got round to getting it yet.

"My heart sinks as I have to tell them there's no recourse. Half the point of the cover is to protect you if things happen that stop you going, so get it ASAB – As Soon As you Book."

Travel insurance is there to help if something goes wrong before or during your trip, including covering costs if flights are cancelled, your airline goes bust or if you need medical assistance when abroad.

The founder of MoneySavingExpert added that those holidaying more than once a year should check out annual travel insurance policies.

Martin said: "If you'll go away at least twice – even if just for weekends – annual policies usually win as they cover virtually all trips.

"If you just want a bog-standard no-frills policy – the cheapest range from £12 for individuals in Europe, and from £71 for a family worldwide."

But if you're only off on a single trip, Martin said travellers can get cover for as little as £9 a week.

Before taking off, Martin advised checking if you have a current EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) or its replacement, the GHIC (Global Health Insurance Card).

With these cards, you can receive free medical attention at state hospitals and GPs in the EU or Switzerland for the same price that residents pay.

They are therefore extremely valuable to have on hand in the event of an accident, emergency, or illness when travelling.

Another thing to note when planning travel this year is from November Brits heading to the EU will need to have an European Travel Information and Authorisation System e-visa.

It will set you back £6 per traveller and everyone aged 18 to 70 must pay for one, while those under 18 and over 70 can get one for free.


  • Click here for today's top showbiz news
  • Love Island first look sees Maya Jama arrive via helicopter as the Islanders meet
  • Royals want 'peace talks before Coronation and Prince Harry rift is fixable'
  • Holly Willoughby sends fans wild with 'beautiful' black plunging dress for Dancing On Ice
  • For the latest showbiz exclusives, sign up to our daily OK! newsletter

Source: Read Full Article