Simon Cowell found David Walliams' vile BGT remarks 'unacceptable and upsetting'04/17/2023
Simon Cowell has addressed David Walliams’ departure from Britain’s Got Talent for the first time.
The 63-year-old star, who serves as a producer on the show as well as sitting on the panel, has branded vile remarks made by the 51-year-old former judge ‘unacceptable and upsetting’.
Last year, Walliams came under fire over leaked recordings which exposed scathing remarks about contestants, and he later apologised for his offensive comments.
He stated: ‘I would like to apologise to the people I made disrespectful comments about during breaks in filming for Britain’s Got Talent in 2020. These were private conversations and – like most conversations with friends – were never intended to be shared. Nevertheless, I am sorry.’
The reason for his departure has not been confirmed, but he later stepped down with Strictly star Bruno Tonioli, 67, coming in as his replacement for the new series.
Asked about the situation, boss Simon told The Sun: ‘I didn’t really get involved in the decision. From what I understand, he decided to take a step back.
‘It all happened relatively quickly. I was on holiday and then the next thing is I’m having conversations about who’s going to take his place.’
He noted that he told ‘the two producers’ to ‘make the final decision’, noting they are ‘more hands on’ with that side of the production.
‘Obviously everyone had some input — the network, the producers Fremantle, all of us said at the time, these comments are completely unacceptable,’ he said. ‘I had not heard them before and, yeah, it was upsetting.’
However, Simon admitted he didn’t thing the comments were a ‘constant’, adding that the Little Britain star appeared ‘very respectful’ of the contestants.
‘But from where I’m sitting, this wasn’t something I believe was constant,’ he said. ‘Most of the time David seemed very respectful and emotional about the contestants and was doing everything that a judge should be doing on a show like this.’
Meanwhile, new judge Bruno previously revealed that David was among the first to congratulate him on his new role, as he told Radio Times: ‘I haven’t seen David, but he was the first person to send me a message saying congratulations.
‘He also sent a fantastic bottle of Italian wine to my dressing room on my first day. I thought that was absolute class.’
Metro.co.uk has contacted representatives for David Walliams for comment.
Britain’s Got Talent continues Saturday at 8pm on ITV.
Got a story?
If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us [email protected], calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.
Source: Read Full Article